Thursday, May 14, 2015

Alphabet of Songs

An escape from house-cleaning for the classic nostalgimaniac is digging through old old old stuff, in this case CDs and folders, under the pretext of clearing them out. I happened upon this series of "My Alphabet of Songs" lists through the Worpress Daily Post blog a couple of days ago and the idea has been on my mind since. It condensed here into one post featuring A-Z songs I binged excessively on back when I was at home. It has been at least a year since I listened to most of these songs, so of course this afternoon was a heady blur of instant-tear-inducing memories and happy correlations. Nostalgia, so says a professor, is a crutch, and I agree, having learnt this the hard way. But I only revisit what 26 songs here. Some letters were easy picks for lack of song, but all were once favourites in some way. There are no repeated artists, had I allowed myself that concession, the list would have had three, maybe four, singers.

Annie's Song, John Denver


Breakaway, Kelly Clarkson


Can You Feel The Love Tonight, Elton John



Dear Madam Barnum, XTC



Englishman in New York, Sting



Fountain, Sara Lov




Girl from Mars, Ash



Here I Am, Bryan Adams


In Venere Veritas, HIM


Just Like Jesse James, Cher


Karma Chameleon, Culture Club



Lost Highway, Bon Jovi



Magic Carpet Ride, Steppenwolf



Norwegian Wood, The Beatles



Oh Oh I Love Her So, Ramones



Playing God, Paramore



Quit Playing Games, Backstreet Boys



Rock the Casbah, The Clash



Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, Billy Joel


The Look, Roxette



Utopia, Alanis Morissette


Venus in Furs, The Velvet Underground



White Wedding, Billy Idol



XO, Beyonce



Yahweh, U2




Zombie, The Cranberries


That's about it for today. A fun little exercise, I must say. Bis morgen!

2 comments: